Wicked Problems In Type Design
Don’t ask me how I came across this video this weekend – I guess it must have been Twitter – but Wicked Problems in Type Design is an interesting document of a 2012 presentation at Cooper-Hewitt. In conjunction with its exhibition Graphic Design: Now In Production on exhibit in New York City that summer, the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum invited six leading and emerging voices in the field of type design whose work appeared in the exhibition. Each was asked to give a Pecha Kucha-style presentation (20 slides of 20 seconds each, six minutes and 40 seconds in total) on a wicked problem central to their work – a ‘wicked problem’ being a technical term for a type of problem that is important but not well-defined. The talks were followed by a panel discussion afterwards.
French designer Philippe Apeloig gave insight in his inspiration and creation process for typefaces he custom designs for identities and posters; William Berkson used his own Williams Caslon Text to explain how type design can improve readability; Hubert Jocham gave his interpretation on how to properly design a revival; Henrik Kubel elaborated on his collaborations with Margaret Calvert; Jeremy Mickel presented a frankly insane font to create three-letter monograms; and Jesse Ragan talked about his stone carvings for the New York Public Library. The event was moderated by Ellen Lupton and Cara Di Edwardo.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Just after the weekend, on Monday September 24, FontShop is proud to sponsor An Evening with Jesse Ragan, Typeface Designer,…Read more
- Registration for the free one-day typography symposium 33pt. Voices on Typography has opened.…Read more
- Sneak preview of FiFFteen in San Francisco FiFFteen in San Francisco, June 11 – 27 FiFFteen, the exhibition celebrating 15 years of FontFonts ®, makes…Read more
- One day before the official opening of ATypI 2010 Dublin: The Word, Verena Gerlach’s show Paradox Alg(i)er(s) opened at The…Read more
- Just like the bands headlining music festivals, keynote speeches define the flavour of a conference.…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (9)