Webfonts Week: An Interview with Erik Spiekermann
Still speaking a-mile-a-minute and showing no signs of slowing down, Erik Spiekermann coyly calls himself an “old guy”. It’s true that he’s been around for every incarnation of type — metal, film, and digital — but he’s no fuddy-duddy when it comes to new technology and new methods. Spiekermann embraced the fledgling world of digital type early on when he founded FontShop 20 years ago, and he’s just as forward-thinking now about licensing type in an era of Web-embeddable fonts.
I pulled him aside one morning during the Typ09 conference in Mexico City to talk about the interesting parallels between using web fonts as a service and typesetting the old-fashioned way.
Click here to watch the FontCast or simply push play below.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Taking the pulse of the font community would not be complete without the man who has been active in type…Read more
- Our first installment of Webfonts Week interviews is with Bryan Mason, whose Typekit service offers an innovative model for including…Read more
- Hundreds of fontheads will descend upon the quiet enclave of Buffalo, NY next week for North America’s only annual conference…Read more
- People who couldn’t attend were able to follow the conference online via Twitter chatter and visual impressions on the ATypI…Read more
- SOTA will be bringing TypeCon2010 to the great city of Los Angeles, August 17-22, 2010.…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)