Webfonts Week: An Interview with Christian Schwartz
On our fourth day of Webfonts Week I thought it wise to hear from someone who represents the future of type design. Who better than Christian Schwartz? With hundreds of typefaces under his belt by the time he reached age 30, Mr. Schwartz is one of the most accomplished and promising young type designers in the world. Most recently lauded for his custom typefaces for The Guardian, Deutsche Bahn, and the Empire State Building, Christian has also released retail fonts under the banners of FontFont, Emigre, House Industries, Font Bureau, and his own Commercial Type.
I asked Christian about what lies ahead for web fonts and how he approaches the challenge of designing type for the screen.
Click here to watch the FontCast or simply push play below.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Christian Schwartz’s presentation “Couture Type and The New York Times” from TYPO Berlin 2008 “Image” has been added to the…Read more
- FontFont represents some of the most talented and interesting type designers in the world. In celebration of FontShop’s 20th…Read more
- FontShop is proud to offer fonts from TypeTogether, a foundry that has become a household name among editorial designers. I…Read more
- Dyana of The Font Bureau explains the difference between kerning and spacing, why it should be done by hand, and…Read more
- Behind the scenes of FontFont’s Type department, the unsung heroes who work together with the type designers to turn their…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)