Webfonts Week: An Interview with Bryan Mason of Typekit
This year’s ATypI’s gathering, deemed Typ09, was clearly different from previous years for many reasons. First, Mexico City provided a vibrant, new world backdrop for a conference that is usually held in Europe. Second, the main program was held on a single track in a presentation hall that is anything but conventional. But most palpable was the feeling among all attendees that the way fonts are licensed and used is about to change forever. 2009 will be remembered as the year that introduced tenable standards and methods for using non-system fonts on the Web.
During the conference I sat down with some of the key players who are leading the way as we head into the brave new world of web typography. Those video interviews will appear here on The FontFeed all week.
Our first installment is with Bryan Mason, whose
soon-to-launch [update: just launched Nov. 10] Typekit service offers an innovative model in which subscribers pay a monthly fee for access to a library of embeddable fonts, as well as a simple, intuitive method for including them on a website.
Click here to watch the FontCast or simply push play below.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- People who couldn’t attend were able to follow the conference online via Twitter chatter and visual impressions on the ATypI…Read more
- Taking the pulse of the font community would not be complete without the man who has been active in type…Read more
- Spiekermann embraced the fledgling world of digital type early on when he founded FontShop 20 years ago, and he’s just…Read more
- Live type on the web has always been limited to a handful of system fonts. But that era is over.…Read more
- ATypI Mexico – TYP09 “The Heart Of The Letter” is approaching fast, so don’t procrastinate if you want to attend.…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)