Wallpaper* Publishes Type-Tart Cards Gallery
At the tail end of September last year I announced the Type-Tart Card contest organised by St Bride Library and Plus International design festival in collaboration with Type. Graphic designers – from up-and-coming new talent to established names – were invited to “find the tart hiding in every type and create their own graphic numbers”. A selection of the entries can be found in the 21st Century Sex issue of Wallpaper*, and all 450 typographic tart cards are on display in a gallery on the Wallpaper* website. The collection is will be exhibited at KK Outlet, London from Monday 22nd to 29th June. Click here to download the invite.
The type-tart cards are of wildly varying quality – from tired old clichés over mildly funny to deliciously witty or even outright explicit. The graphic style is equally eclectic, with some designs mimicking the crude, punk-like language of photocopied tart cards, while others resemble the glossy quality of contemporary high-end designs. Some attempts at wordplay fall short of the mark, while others are clever puns on both typographical terminology and the more racy language of porn and prostitution. The best achieve maximum effect with minimal means. The examples where parts of characters were customised into literal representations of genitals are quite poor and unimaginative, but I was amazed at how confrontational the purely typographic cards are, and marvelled at the unease I felt when examining what in fact simply are symmetrically arranged glyphs. Of course 450 cards are a bit much to discuss, but I made a small selection of cards that struck me for one reason or another.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Symposium in Birmingham, UK, on 16 March 2011 exploring the link between the typographer and the writer of words.…Read more
- ’Twas the eve before FIFA World Cup, when all through the world, people were professing their love for the noble…Read more
- You are invited to have some graphic fun and at the same time help support the St Bride Library, London…Read more
- When you don’t want to be bothered and can’t waste any time, simply hand over a card to the offender…Read more
- Using one or more (adapted) pictograms Viktor Hertz creates alternate posters for both recent and older movies.…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)