Vow to Vowels: The Sidewalk Experiences My First Earthquake
Yesterday My First Earthquake – a California-based indie rock band founded in 2006 – released the typographic music video for Vow to Vowels, a song off their first full album, Downstairs. The joyful clip is an ode to a crossword-puzzle lover. It has the band write out the lyrics in chalk, using all sorts of colourful lettering styles ranging from constructivist geometric shapes over swirly scripts to chunky three-dimensional letters, and more. The four-piece is made up entirely of designers living in San Francisco – “designing the day away and rocking the night”. I can relate. Pretty fitting for a typographic music video drawn on a playground, if y’ask me.
The video was produced by Michael Cobra of Cobra Creative in a mere 48 hours. It was shot entirely on an iPhone with the help of his wife and friends. Filming it with the iPhone lends the footage a delightful over-saturated, vintage Super-8-like quality. Mike says of the song:
Vow to Vowels stuck out to me because it felt like a hip song that would be on Yo Gabba Gabba or Sesame Street. I thought it would be great to make the kind of music video that would impress my three year old son.
Up till now My First Earthquake have released two EPs, Tremors (2008, 6 songs) and Crush (2010, 4 songs), which they distribute for free, and a debut album, Downstairs (2009, 10 songs), downloadable for a mere $5. If you like this band and enjoy their music, maybe help them make their second full album on Kickstarter.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- It always seems magical when a piece of graphic design transcends the flat plane and enters the third dimension. The…Read more
- On Thursday, April 28, my new band Rosa Luxe* presents our debut album in Damberd, Gent, Belgium.…Read more
- This song, a collaboration between Towa Tei and Kylie Minogue, is about an actual typeface that was included as a…Read more
- The music video for “Nein Mann” by German electro house project Laserkraft 3D features hand lettering and dingbats that visualise…Read more
- Another creation by The Cocoe Conspiracy who were featured on The FontFeed with their splendid PsychoTypoGraph.…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (9)