Valentype | Testify and Win The Typeface You Love!
If you know what it’s like to passionately love a typeface, here’s a golden opportunity. Declare your love for a typeface* and you could win an official single license to four (4) weights/styles** in OpenType, Offc or Webfont*** format of that typeface (for example Regular, Italic, Bold, Black). This love declaration can take any form you like: a poem, an image, a short text, whatever you feel like creating.
You can use any typeface to design your love declaration, or use the sample setter on fontshop.com. Take a screenshot or CTRL-click the image produced by the system and download it to your hard drive. Then open it in Photoshop. You can either use the image of the type in the program itself, or turn the background transparent and change the colour of the letters, and import it into Illustrator or Indesign, or another lay-out program of your choice.
The preferred language for text entries is English, but we accept Dutch, French, and German as well. Just make sure that we don’t have to do anything to add your entry to the dedicated gallery which will be posted soon (see technical details below).
The contest starts now, and your submission must reach us before Valentine’s Day ends: next Monday, February 14th 2011 at midnight AKST. But there is one catch – we want at least fifty (50) submissions or the contest is void, annulled, nihil, zilch, nada. Fortunately you can enter up to three (3) submissions, so in theory if twenty very motivated people compete we’re more than good. However if submit more than one entry, your entries must be for different typefaces; you can’t submit more than one love declaration for a typeface/family.
The contest is open to anyone: amateurs, students and professionals alike, men and women and transgenders, straight and gay and everything in between, all races, all religions, Atlanteans and subterraneans, earthlings and aliens, no restrictions, no boundaries. So get busy in the name of love and testify! The first time we ran the competition you had a little under 48 hours; now with a week to go I don’t want to hear anyone complain. I expect submissions of the highest quality. ; )
- Send us an e-mail with “Valentype2011” (no space) and the name of the typeface in the subject line. This is crucial because we filter incoming e-mails: no Valentype2011 in the subject line means we won’t see your submission. Include your name and full postal address in the message and your love declaration in attachment.
- Poems or short texts must be saved in .TXT format.
- Typographic art or design must be saved for web (Save for Web… command in Adobe Photoshop) as a High Quality JPEG (no progressive JPEG!), PNG, or GIF RGB image, measuring exactly 500 pixels wide and maximum 750 pixels high.
- The file name must read “YourFullName_FontName” (plus the file extension of course). Substitute “YourFullName” with your actual name (no spaces) and “FontName” with the name of the typeface you covet.
As evaluating and posting the entries is a hell of a lot of work:
- We will not accept love declarations for fonts not included in the libraries of the participating foundries listed below.
- You can however design your submission with any typeface you like.
- We will not accept submissions of the wrong dimensions.
- We will not accept submissions that don’t conform to the naming rules.
If anyone wonders why Valentype is restricted to the foundries listed below – although the four fonts are given away, the designer does get the royalties, just like with any regular sale. As in everything we endeavour, we want to do right by the designers who create these beautiful typefaces for us to use. The following foundries responded to our e-mail invitation, and have agreed to this.
- Alphabet Soup
- Bold Monday
- Borges Lettering
- Dalton Maag
- Device Fonts
- The Font Bureau, Inc.
- HVD Fonts
- Just Another Foundry
- Letter Perfect
- Mark Simonson Studio
- Porchez Typofonderie
- Process Type Foundry
- Suitcase Type Foundry
- Teeline Fonts
- Virus Fonts
- Willerstorfer Font Foundry
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Declare your love for a typeface and you could win an official single license to four weights/styles of that face.…Read more
- Declare your love for a FontFont or OurType face and you could win an official single license to four weights/styles…Read more
- A gallery with the five winners of the Valentype 2011 contest.…Read more
- A gallery with the five winners of the Valentype 2013 contest.…Read more
- Respected Belgian/Dutch type foundry OurType joins the Valentype contest.…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Stoker, Dead Man Down, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, Tyler Perry’s Temptation, Wrong (4)