Valentype 2011 | The Winners
Before we reveal the winners, allow me to remind everyone that strictly speaking Valentype is not so much a pure design contest. We asked for love declarations, and this was of primary concern for the four jury members. To be honest, personally I consider a simple “I love you because you’re beautiful” a cop-out. So I asked the jury to favour wit and inventiveness. A well-designed image was a bonus, but whoever managed to cleverly use the typeface name, its concept or design, the general perception of the type style etc. received a good score. Also creatively playing with the general idea of a Valentine’s note or love declaration was a clear plus.
Just like last year the jury was composed of FontShop Germany CEO Jürgen Siebert, FontFont marketing director Ivo Gabrowitsch, myself, and my partner-in-type-geekery Stephen Coles, who rejoined our little club for the occasion. Each one of us compiled a Top 10, and the added scores resulted in five clear winners – the five runners-up only had half the score. Here they are, in no particular order (chronologically):
28 | Nina Stössinger (Basel, Switzerland) loves Parry
37 | Gerhard Großmann (Regensburg, Germany) loves FF Quadraat
49 | Paul Hunt (San Jose, CA, USA) loves Auto 3
52 | Maurice Meilleur (Champaign, IL, USA) loves Arnhem
58 | Tiffany Wardle (San Jose, CA, USA) loves Regime
Congratulations to the five winners; send us an e-mail detailing what four weights of the typeface you wish to receive, and we’ll get back to you with instructions.
Thanks to everyone for participating. We’ve had 40% more entries than in 2009, with many very good ones. I think next year we will run a Valentype contest as well, hopefully with even more foundries participating. Until then, keep on loving type.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- A gallery with the five winners of the Valentype 2014 contest.…Read more
- A gallery with the five winners of the Valentype 2013 contest.…Read more
- Declare your love for a typeface and you could win an official single license to four weights/styles of that face.…Read more
- This is the dedicated gallery with all the submissions for the Valentype 2011 contest.…Read more
- This is the dedicated gallery with all the submissions for the Valentype 2014 contest.…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)