Typophile Film Fest 5: Call For Entries
Typophile has issued an open Call For Entries for the fifth edition of their annual Typophile Film Fest. The film festival – which debuted at TypeCon2004 – TypeHigh in San Francisco – is wide open to anything relevant to typography, design history, and/or type design. Typophile is committed to providing a venue for the best type-related motion design work. Each edition of the Typophile Film Fest is a rare and unequalled selection of short typographic films which can be educational, experimental, inspiring or humorous; and sometimes even all of the above.
Examples include (but are not limited to):
- Film Titling
- Promotional pieces showcasing a typeface
- Motion Picture Studio work
- Studio reels showing a strength in typography or motion type
- Music videos
- Experimental or animated fonts
- Short stories or animations
- Client work
- Student work
Overview & Eligibility
By submitting a piece for consideration, you affirm that you retain rights to such work, and that you acknowledge the right of Typophile to use the work for festival exhibition and promotion.
- There is no fee to enter.
- Finalists will be chosen by Typophile at its sole discretion.
- This is a showcase. Induction into the film fest indicates a level of quality but no awards are given.
- All work shown will be properly credited in Typophile Film Festival materials.
Minimum size: 640 x 480 (broadcast) or 720 x 480 (DVD)
Frames per second: 24 or more
Maximum Length: 15 minutes (00:15:00)
Minimum Length: 30 seconds (00:00:30)
Digital formats are preferred, on CD, DVD or downloadable from your site. If you have old footage that exists in an obsolete format (including VHS tape or Mini-DV), send us an email to discuss any special considerations or arrangements.
- Digital: Quicktime preferred (.mov, .mpeg) Place onto a dataCD or data DVD and mail to the address below. If your piece was created in Flash and your aspect ratio is other than 720 x 480, we suggest you add a black mask to “crop” your piece so that your SWF will be scaled properly when you prepare it for Quicktime output.
- Download: DO NOT email your file(s). You may upload them to your own server and email us the URL to download. Do not submit raw Premier, After Effects or Final Cut files. Only exported, uncompressed files will be considered.
Submissions should be received by Friday, March 13, 2009.
Send films to
attn: Typophile Film Fest 5
170 Maiden Lane, 3rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94108
Tel: +1 415/445 8855
Email: typophile at punchcut dot com
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Punchcut presents The Typophile Film Fest 4, San Francisco in association with FontShop The Typophile Film Festival 4 is best described as a…Read more
- The Typophile Film Festival 5 premieres at “Design à Trois” in Portland, Oregon on August 27th 2009.…Read more
- TXT Island is a stop motion typography mini movie using pegboard characters to tell a tale of rampant commercialism.…Read more
- The new free open air summer type & design festival featuring bands, free speech, films, workshops, surf, camping & love.…Read more
- Help us preserve seven 16mm educational films from the Mergenthaler Linotype Company from the 1950s and ’60s.…Read more