Typographica’s “Favorite Typefaces of 2008”
It has been covered on a multitude of blogs, both type-related like Typographer and Ministry of Type, and design-related like Design Observer and QBN, and others like Daring Fireball and Kottke.org. It generated over 400 tweets in 24 hours, and after two days it doesn’t look like it’s going to let up soon. So basically chances are you have heard about it already. But just to make sure, and also because Stephen Coles is part of our team – the wait is over!
I hinted at it in last month’s Bald Condensed review.
It’s March, spring is in the air, and this means Oscars time, also in the wonderful world of type design. Blogs and websites have submerged us with Best of and Top Ten lists, but we all know we’re waiting with baited breath for Typographica’s “Our Favourite Fonts of 2008” to be published for the fifth consecutive year already. This unofficial award list has carved out a prestigious reputation in the type world. […] Stephen just gave me the scoop – you gotta love instant messaging – there are nearly twice as many participants as in previous years. It will be launched with a Typographica redesign, which sees the website move away from a blog format and toward a gallery/showcase style site to give more focus to reviews/essays, less to news.
Yes indeed – the redesigned Typographica launched Wednesday with its annual Our Favorite Typefaces of 2008 overview. It is not a wise move to go over there if you have a lot of work to be done or pressing deadlines, because there are forty (40!) reviews plus a long list of honourable mentions. Enjoy!
And if you want to know more about the man behind arguably the most important annual overview of new type out there, you can have a listen at the interview with Stephen Coles on Read Between The Leading.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- The wait is finally over, and it was well worth it. Not a Best Of-list nor an Award, Typographica’s Our…Read more
- A few bits of early reaction to the FontFeed relaunch from some of our most beloved bloggers.…Read more
- We love OpenType. It’s not just the latest font technology, but also the most advanced, poised to replace the old…Read more
- The Book Cover Archive is a new online gallery “for the appreciation and categorization of excellence in book cover design”.…Read more
- Typophile has issued an open Call For Entries for the fifth edition of Typophile Film Fest. The film festival is…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Stoker, Dead Man Down, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, Tyler Perry’s Temptation, Wrong (4)