Typographic Relaunch for Audi
If you look closely at some recent print ads from Audi you may discover a subtle typographic restyling. The automotive constructor stopped using the modified Univers Extended called Audi Sans introduced 12 years ago by MetaDesign, and switched to AudiType. MetaDesign – which is responsible for this facelift as well – commissioned Paul van der Laan (Type Invaders) and Pieter van Rosmalen (Caketype) to design the new corporate face for Audi. Both Paul and Pieter studied type design at the KABK (Royal Academy of Arts) in The Hague, The Netherlands.
Neither Audi nor their CI agency have released an official statement about the typographic relaunch yet. Without knowing their exact motivation I think I perceive the politics of baby steps. The foundation, or may we call it the “chassis”, is preserved – character width, grey value, metrics – while the bodywork was refined. And this is very elegant, away from the static towards the dynamic, the high-quality.
Some extra clarification about the new typeface. We have been told that Audi Type was built completely from the ground up. Although its character has indeed been preserved up to a certain point, the character widths and spacing in the new typeface are actually quite different. Normal and Bold are somewhat of a darker colour, and ascenders and descenders are longer than in Univers to guarantee optimal legibility in the smaller point sizes.
At Typo 2007 MetaDesign’s Carl-Frank Westermann explained in great detail the strategy behind the Audi Sound Branding, specifically the acoustic endings of the commercials. By applying minute interferences in the overtones the MetaDesigners lent a higher quality to the two seconds. This scenario seems to work perfectly well for typography as well.
Paul van der Laan and Pieter van Rosmalen will launch their new venture Bold Monday in the near future. At Robothon Pieter handed me a set of very nice postcards with sneak previews of the typefaces. More details to follow, and sooner than you might expect.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- The tenth annual St Bride Library conference focuses on designers balancing opposing constraints and visual ideas in often ‘perfect tension’.…Read more
- An interview with Paul van der Laan en Pieter van Rosmalen of the Dutch Bold Monday type foundry.…Read more
- More and more educators are mining the potential of FontShop’s free online modular font editor, both in the regular courses…Read more
- In a previous Type Basics we examined the difference between a typeface and a font. Both terms refer to a…Read more
- This is the first in a series of studio profiles featuring those who were published in Print magazine’s Regional Design…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)