TYPO Berlin 2011 “Shift” Is Coming
And suddenly, out of nowhere, TYPO Berlin fever hits. It happens every year, and when I have a presentation it’s twice as bad. This weekend I suddenly realised that I fly to Berlin Wednesday night. Yup, that’s tomorrow! Although I have a hefty chunk of writing to do for The FontFeed, all I could think of was finishing my talk. And so it happened that I kept postponing the upcoming posts (no pun intended) while adding slides and refining my narrative, until they couldn’t be delayed anymore. So this will be a quick one about the conference, and then back to my research for Trajan in Movie Posters. I hope to see some of you Friday afternoon on the Stage.
TYPO Berlin will be disseminating a constant stream of information through a variety of channels, so you don’t have to miss anything. And TYPO Berlin cares about those who are unable to attend. New this year will be live streams of two presentations a day. Below is the overview.
- TYPO Berlin on Twitter | Hashtag #typo11
- TYPO Berlin Flickr Group | Become a member and publish your visual impressions of the conference online!
- TYPO Berlin Facebook Fan Page
- TYPO Berlin Blog
- TYPO Berlin Live Stream
- Thursday, May 19
15:00 CEST / Oliver Reichenstein (German)
19:00 CEST / Kris Sowersby (English)
- Friday, May 20
12:00 CEST / Donald Beekman & Donald Roos (English)
18:00 CEST / Thomas Poschauko & Martin Poschauko (German)
- Saturday, May 21
11:00 CEST / Robin Kinross (English)
18:00 CEST / Petr van Blokland (English)
- Thursday, May 19
Six Questions For …
Another first is the fun series of mini-interviews with speakers on the TYPO Berlin Blog. All of us who participated were asked the same six short questions, and the answers were published in either English or German.
- Sechs Fragen an … Martin Tiefenthaler
- Six questions for … Peter Bil’ak
- Sechs Fragen an … Markus Hanzer
- Six questions for … Kris Sowersby
- Sechs Fragen an … Heike Nehl
- Five questions for … Robin Kinross
- Six questions for … Pierre di Sciullo
- Sechs Fragen an … Christian Büning
- Sechs Fragen an … Oliver Reichenstein
- Six questions for … Yves Peters
- Six questions for … Rathna Ramanathan
- Sechs Fragen an … Jörg Becker
- Sechs Fragen an … Thomas Lupo
- Six questions for … Todd Childers
- Sechs Fragen an … Damian Gerbaulet
- Six questions for … Christopher Çolak
- Sechs Fragen an … Tina Frank
- Sechs Fragen an … Eva-Lotta Lamm
- Six questions for … Donald Roos
Typographic Sightseeing in Berlin
And last but not least – the inimitable Dan Reynolds recommends a list of ten typographic resources in the city. Amongst them of course the Erik Spiekermann exhibition in the Bauhaus-Archiv Museum of Design, and on Wednesday (tomorrow evening) the opening of the inaugural exhibition at the Mota Italic gallery. There is also a special TYPO weekend guided tour in the Buchstaben-Museum (Museum of Letters) at 2pm on Sunday, May 22. All highly recommended!
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Podcasts with Oliver Reichenstein, Donald Beekman & Donald Roos, Tim Fendley, and Michael Johnson, from FontShopTV.…Read more
- Christian Schwartz’s presentation “Couture Type and The New York Times” from TYPO Berlin 2008 “Image” has been added to the…Read more
- On March 22, 2011, the exhibition “Erik Spiekermann. The Face of Type.” opened in the Bauhaus-Archiv Museum of Design in…Read more
- In its 30th annual The Best of Newspaper Design™ Creative Competition, the Society for News Design has named four newspapers…Read more
- You can save up to €210,- if you register for TYPO Berlin 2010 “Shift” before December 31st.…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)