Typeradio Hosts New “Now We Are Talking” Festival
I was a bit bummed when I found out I wouldn’t be able to attend the ATypI conference in Reykjavik this year. However there’s something to be said for cosmic balance. The very next day I discovered another event in September to look forward to, and which I am very excited about. On Friday, September 2nd 2011, Typeradio organises the Now we are talking Festival in The Hague, The Netherlands. It is advertised as “The New Free Open Air Summer Type & Design Festival”, featuring “Bands, Free Speech, Films, Workshops, Surf, Camping & Love”. Yes, you read it correctly – it is a free event!
The program, which runs from noon to midnight, is already shaping up very nicely. Lectures will be presented on the main stage and in the bar. The following speakers have been announced for the main stage – Wim Crouwel, Strange Attractors, Vincent van Baar, Experimental Jetset, Erik van Blokland, Lust, and Typefreaks. In addition the Typeshorts track in the bar (a concept by David Březina) will have short presentations of exactly 321 seconds in an informal atmosphere, similar to the ones at TypeTalks last June.
Those who want to get their hands dirty can do so at the type design workshops in open air by Autobahn, Janno Hahn, and Yomar Augusto. To join those workshops you need to get the special package – the admission comes with a box including 4 unpublished interviews with Gerrit Noordzij, Adrian Frutiger, Ed Benguiat, and Gerrit Noordzij; plus 4 unpublished vinyls composed by Legowelt, Jacq Palinckx, Supercity, and The Walt, plus an essay by Ellen Lupton. Designed by Strange Attractors, Erik van Blokland, Buro Destruct, and Experimental Jetset, this box is available in a limited edition of 250 only, and costs €50.
It’s not all type and design at Now We Are Talking. Starting in the late afternoon live bands will take the main stage, with performances by Legowelt, SuperCity, Jacq Palinckx, and John Dear Mowing Club; plus special appearances by Howlin’ Alex, Electric Mustafa, and Donald Beekman (more to come). And once the sun sets an open air film program will be presented in co-operation with Cinema aan Zee.
Now We Are Talking Festival will take place in F.A.S.T. (Free Architecture Surf Terrain) in The Hague harbour. This unique and artistic surfers’ village at the boulevard of Scheveningen has a beach hostel, a bar and restaurant, a surf shop, board storage, art projects, and even a museum. Campsites are available in the village itself, and must be reserved beforehand. There are showers, toilets and a kitchen. If you do not have a tent, you can stay in the hostel or in your own camper. And if you want your stay to be less ordinary, you can opt for the Capsule Hotel, a refunked oil-rig survival pod, voted as no. 1 obscure accommodation by Lonely Planet.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Thanks to the splendid weather, a great setting, and a relaxed atmosphere, Typeradio’s free festival was a perfect end-of-the-summer event.…Read more
- Punchcut presents The Typophile Film Fest 4, San Francisco in association with FontShop The Typophile Film Festival 4 is best described as a…Read more
- The coming three days I will be at Reasons To Be Creative festival, Brighton’s September conference for coders and designers.…Read more
- It’s Monday, and the excitement surrounding TYPO SF is steadily building. The international crew is already on site, preparing at…Read more
- Another conference is having its last week of Early Bird rates. While TYPO Berlin covers a broad range of topics…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (9)