TypeCon2010: Babel Officially Opens Tonight
This week the typographic world congregates in Los Angeles, as TypeCon2010: Babel takes over the City of the Angels. The Society of Typographic Aficionados presents its annual letterfest, featuring more than 70 of the brightest names in type and design, including: Akira Kobayashi, Doyald Young, Jill Bell, Teri Kahan, Andrew Byrom, Sean Adams, Richard Kegler, Kevin Larson, Jean François Porchez, Hank Richardson, Matthew Carter, John Downer, Gerald Lange, Chaz Bojorquez, Ricardo Martins, Johanna Drucker, Kris Sowersby, Denise Gonzales Crisp, Shelley Gruendler, Miguel Sousa, Adam Twardoch, Satya Rajpurohit, Adrian Wilson, Roger Black, and many more.
TypeCon2010 explores the hot button topic of web fonts; an eye-popping look at antique type and lettering of the textile trade; the typography and lettering of Disneyland, a documentary film on the life and work of beloved type designer/letterpress printer/book artist Jim Rimmer; an exploration of the potential for a graduate program in type design in the US, and much more.
TypeCon2010 started on Tuesday with the special event What the Font is WOFF?, and yesterday AIGA/LA presented in partnership with the SOTA and TypeCon Type That Moves (You), an inspiring evening of motion design and titles from some of Hollywood’s most talented designers. I posted the motion promo by Josel Cruz above; shame about the dreadfully letterspaced lowercase Myriad. Shagging sheep, anyone?
Tonight TypeCon2010 officially opens with Opening Night: Let the Babel Begin!, a festival sponsored by Typekit, Adobe, and Font Bureau – including a cocktail reception and mingling in the land of web fonts. Roger Black will give his keynote presentation The Future of Type Design, which will be followed by a screening of Richard Kegler’s documentary Making Faces: Metal Type in the 21st Century. The main conference programme kicks off on Friday, August 20.
You can follow conference news and feedback through the Typecon Twitter account, as well as the #typecon hash tag. Furthermore Si Daniels is providing coverage of TypeCon for those of us not there live. And the first pictures have started appearing in the TypeCon Flickr Group Pool.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- This August 1–5 we’ll be in Seattle for TypeCon, the only North American conference dedicated to typography, where FontShop is…Read more
- From July 5 till 10, TypeCon2011 – the annual conference presented by the non-profit Society of Typographic Aficionados (SOTA) –…Read more
- Under Consideration/Department of Design had the excellent idea to post a follow-up to their unveiling of the TypeCon logo.…Read more
- SOTA will be bringing TypeCon2010 to the great city of Los Angeles, August 17-22, 2010.…Read more
- The SOTA Catalyst Award recognises young people who have created original work in type design, type history, or other areas…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Stoker, Dead Man Down, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, Tyler Perry’s Temptation, Wrong (4)