Type Is Art / Parts of a Character
Parts Of A Character is a typography project that originated as an educational print, aimed at typography students, created by artist and designer Susanne Cerha of Silo Design, Inc. The print in turn inspired José Rodriguez of JRVisuals to create the public interactive project Type Is Art.
On the website visitors are invited to create their own visuals, using the 20 basic typographic shapes that make up the characters of the Latin alphabet. Those character fragments (from Adobe Caslon) become abstract elements, removed from their communicative capacity. They can be freely scaled, rotated and arranged to form new and surprising compositions. There is an educational aspect to the website as well, as the different parts of the characters are named and explained at the bottom.
The visuals can be saved to a gallery. As creations trickle in to Type Is Art the most original, funny, lewd, obscure, poetic and majestic designs are featured on the Parts Of A Character products. Those can be purchased via the Parts Of A Character web shop.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Takahiro Yamaguchi used the topography of Shibuya, Tokyo to design letter forms for his Urbanized Typeface project.…Read more
- If you are looking for a present for a type-loving pop-culture addict, these posters from 17th and Oak might do…Read more
- The third episode in our Typo Berlin 2009 reports.…Read more
- Design studio Capacity wins award for NBC on-air rebranding using the typeface Klavika.…Read more
- In this sequel to “Figuring Out Numerals” we look at some special cases.…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (9)