Type Directors Club Announces TDC55 and TDC2 2009 Results
It’s award season all right. After the announcement of the SND30 winners now it’s the turn of TDC 55 and TDC2 2009. Here is the press release – we’ll post a follow-up with a closer look at the winners.
The fifty-fifth annual international competition, TDC55 this past January was slightly different than in the past. We had an early-bird deadline which many entrants responded to. In a year where many are struggling with finances, the entries were down slightly by 8%.
There was a total of 1733 entries from 33 countries: of the total, 957 (55%) from the U.S. and 776 (45%) from other countries. Total work selected included 215 from 20 countries. Of the total number 97 (45%) from the U.S. and 118 (55%) from other countries. The countries include: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, England, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Taiwan.
the quality of the submission was incredible and it was heartbreaking seeing some of those entries being discarded by the judges who had to pick the best amongst the best.
The jury was comprised of
- Laurie DeMartino | Laurie DeMartino Design Co., Minneapolis, MN
- Roberto de Vicq de Cumptich | deVicq design, New York
- Chris Dixon | New York Magazine, New York
- Tina Roth Eisenberg | swissmiss studio, New York
- Jeffrey Fisher | Paris, France
- Matthew Richmond | The Chopping Block, New York
- Alex Trochut | Barcelona, Spain
Werner Design Werks, Minneapolis, Minnesota, was the designer of the TDC55 Call for Entries and is currently designing Typography 30 which will be available early December and published by Collins Design, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.
There was no change in the typeface design competition this year. We received the same number of entries. Of the 163 typefaces entered from 26 countries, 18 were selected. The winning typefaces came from nine countries. 78 % was outside the U.S. The winning typefaces are
|Klimax Bold||Ondrej Jób||Typotheque||The Netherlands|
|Optica Normal||Manuel Guerrero||Blue Typo||Mexico|
|Adios Script||Alejandro Paul||Sudtipos||Argentina|
|Montague Script||Stephen Rapp||USA|
|Copte Scripte||Laurent Bourcellier
& Jonathan Perez
|Expo Serif Pro||Mark Jamra||USA|
|Ginkgo||Alex Rütten||Linotype GmbH||Germany|
|Hardys||Kris Sowersby||Klim Type Foundry||New Zealand|
|Malabar||Dan Reynolds||Linotype GmbH||Germany|
|Novel||Christoph Dunst||The Netherlands|
|Serrano||Kris Sowersby||Klim Type Foundry||New Zealand|
I was pleased with the number of entries in what could have been a lean year and by the quality of the work entered. My task was made particularly enjoyable by the first-class team of judges, who each had strong opinions about the material they were judging but who were all in accord with the results.
The jury included
- Ken Barber | House Industries
- Jonathan Hoefler | Hoefler & Frere-Jones
- Richard Kegler | P22 Type Foundry
- Gabriel Martinez Meave | Kimera Type Foundry
The results of both competitions are posted on the TDC web site.
The Type Directors Club is a non profit professional organization, celebrating over sixty years in the industry. TDC is dedicated to educating its international membership and graphic arts community about type, type design and its myriad of uses in the field of communications.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Find out which typefaces won Cerificates of Excellence in Type Design at this year’s TDC2 Type Design Competition.…Read more
- TDC2, the annual type design competition organised by the Type Directors Club of New York, come closest to being the…Read more
- Jonathan Hoefler and Steven Heller explain on The Leonard Lopate Show how typefaces are created and why typography is important…Read more
- The first month of 2013 has come to a close, and as usual the type commentators reflect on the past…Read more
- The works for Hering Berlin and Utrecht City Theatre have been awarded with a red dot award for outstanding design.…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)