Type Camp Galiano In August 2009
Fancy a unique, immersive and growing experience in type education this summer? Then Type Camp may be something for you. This typographic boot camp runs from August 9th to 14th on beautiful Galiano Island, British Columbia, Canada. Type Camp is for learning, for exploring, and for inspiring. It is also a chance to experience new cultures, new people, and new practices. As Dr. Shelley Gruendler explains,
Type Camp is just one response to a greater need for the reform of typographic education. Graphic design programs must rethink the integration of all aspects of the typographic profession into their curricula.
Type Camp Galiano in August 2009 will focus on refining your graphic design and typographic work in order to increase readability, legibility, and expand your typographic style. You will learn professional tips and typographic secrets from experts in the field. This edition Dr. Shelley Gruendler is joined by guest instructors Stephen Coles and Tiffany Wardle. The FontFeed’s very own Stephen is editor of Typographica and Type Director at FontShop where he writes about their collection and advises clients on typeface choices. Tiffany is the famous “Typegirl” of Typophile fame with encyclopaedic typographic knowledge. Both have uncanny type identification abilities and are eager to pass along their knowledge to all Type Campers.
Type Camp Galiano 2009 will take place in Driftwood Village, in the south end of the island. Accommodations are large cabins for only two people, and each person gets their own bedroom. Wonderful chef and famous author Linda L. Richards will make sure you’ll be well-fed with local, organic, and super yummy food. If you’re interested in attending don’t procrastinate, as there are only 14 spaces available.
Find more information and register online on the Type Camp website.
Future Type Camps
Type Camp India in December 2009 will take place in Chennai on the South Eastern coast of India. The workshops will incorporate local publishing houses, book binders, paper makers, silk-screen printers, sign painters, Tamil calligraphy artists, and type walks in local markets. It will be a time to create and produce typographic projects to inspire or recharge your creativity.
Other scheduled future Type Camps are London in spring 2010 and Bauhaus in July 2011
To give you a taster, below is a photographic impression of Type Camp Galiano the past two years. All pictures are taken from the Type Camp Flickr Pool.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- On Saturday April 25th, Langara College and the Society of Graphic Designers of Canada presented Justified West, a one-day typographic…Read more
- Now this is fun. Wordle autonomously creates word cloud diagrams like the one above. All you need to do is…Read more
- A gallery with the five winners of the Valentype 2014 contest.…Read more
- More and more educators are mining the potential of FontShop’s free online modular font editor, both in the regular courses…Read more
- This is the dedicated gallery with all the submissions for the Valentype 2011 contest.…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (9)