Trailer For Ultimate Indie Comedy Hand-Drawn Block Letters
It gets mentioned from time to time, also by me in the ScreenFonts series, and once Abduzeedo even dedicated a gallery on his blog to this phenomenon – the omnipresence of hand drawn type used for indie comedies. Now comedy website College Humor has noticed this as well and produced the spoof trailer Hand-Drawn Block Letters, “the one quirky text every totally original and one-of-a-kind comedy needs”. Mildly funny as usual, but well produced and nicely done. The music in the background is Such Great Heights, a track from Give Up, the beautiful album by The Postal Service, the collaboration between Jimmy Tamborello (Dntel) and Death Cab For Cuties‘ Ben Gibbard.
This is not the first time College Humor satirises typographical conventions in the movie industry. Big Red Text* took a jab at – well, obviously – the movie titles for mainstream comedies set in extra bold red letters such as Futura Extra Bold, Helvetica Inserat, Gill Kayo, and the likes. As they say, “when it comes to comedy, the BIGGER, the REDDER, the BETTER”.
|(*)||Unfortunately embedding has been disabled for this video, so you’ll need to go watch it on YouTube.|
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- The last thing you want in a promo for font management software is a missing font.…Read more
- Our monthly review of movie poster typography.…Read more
- College Humor has released footage that reveals what actually does happen when the mascot Luxo jumps on the “I” in…Read more
- College Humor follows up their funny spoof Font Conference with Font Fight!, where the Helvetica gang is attacked by Arial…Read more
- Parisian advertising agency BETC Euro RSCG ceated a series of cartoon ads and commercials for the Peugeot Partner Tepee car…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Stoker, Dead Man Down, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, Tyler Perry’s Temptation, Wrong (4)