The Year In Pictures… In Type
This little gem was unearthed on Googlebooks by fellow Typophile, FontFeed reader and Facebook friend Simon Robertson. He found this cover for Life magazine dating from December 29, 1972. The special double-sized issue gives an overview of the year 1972 in pictures. Strangely enough though, the cover shows no photos at all. Instead it lists all the events chronicled in the issue in a variety of different typefaces.
Such documents are valuable reference material that tell us what typefaces were popular in certain periods of time, and this cover reveals the “hot faces” of the early seventies. Of course I couldn’t resist when Simon – indirectly – challenged me in his Facebook status message.
Great cover – the year in pictures, yet none used for the cover! Typefreaks, can you name all the typefaces? I can’t :-)
Brace yourselves, here they are. Please be aware that specific characters may differ from the currently available digitised versions, like for example the alternate capital “A” in Memphis. The big white headline is set in Futura Display; the orange type in the background (in alphabetical order):
- Beton & Beton Condensed (check the very peculiar Bold weight)
- Something similar to ITC Century, but obviously predating it by ten years
- Cheltenham (outlined)
- Cooper Black
- Folio (I don’t think it’s Helvetica, although the light italic R doesn’t match) & Folio Condensed
- Garamont Amsterdam
- Goudy Old Style
- Kabel (the original, not the ITC version)
- Melior (I’m not entirely sure; definitely a Hermann Zapf design)
- News Gothic/Trade Gothic
Do you see a typeface that I missed, or do you think I misidentified one? Let me know in the comments.
In related news – fans of magazine covers should head over to the NMCA website I recently discovered through the Grafik magazine fan page on Facebook.
The Nation Magazine Cover Archive is a non-commercial “hobbysite” devoted to helping keep inspirational magazine design alive. These are strange days for editorial designers with homogenisation and closure of many well known (and loved) titles and independent publishers emerging to fill the gaps. Just don’t forget to vote with your feet! Support quality magazines. Don’t let them die.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Yesterday Elliot Jay Stocks launched the latest issue of his limited edition typography magazine 8 Faces, available in printed format and…Read more
- The FontFeed is very proud and honoured to have been given internet-wide exclusivity for a sneak preview of the upcoming…Read more
- A promotional video for the Bellavista Social Pub recreates a number of Blue Note album covers as tableaux vivants.…Read more
- Printed on heavy, uncoated stock, with a foil-blocked cover, and pressed at just 2000 limited editions, each issue of 8…Read more
- Renate Kampmanns’ Fremder Schmerz wins the Bloody Cover 2009 award for the most beautiful cover for a German language crime…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)