The New York Times Turkish Edition
This marvellous one minute commercial comes to The FontFeed via my esteemed Typographer.org colleague David John Earls through Ministry of Type‘s Aegir Hallmundur. It advertises the new Turkish-language edition of the New York Times‘ International Weekly, distributed for free with the Sunday edition of Turkey’s Sabah newspaper.
Imago New Media – a two person motion graphics studio, established in 2004 and currently located in the heart of Istanbul –
constructed typographic versions of the most recognisable landmarks in Manhattan and Istanbul, and created a compact tour taking the audience from the New York Harbor all the way to the Bosphorus. Actual pages from the first issue of the newspaper were used to create the textures used in the scenes. The financial news page became NYSE and Wall Street, entertainment news turned into Times Square, and so on.
As Aegir explains
this one is very nicely done — it hangs together beautifully, and the level of subtle detail rewards re-watching. The waves, rippling banners and flags are a lovely touch, just noticeable enough to add to the sense of place without distracting you from the overall theme.
Starring prominently in the clip are the custom Cheltenham (please note I don’t link to the yucky ITC version) Matthew Carter designed for the newspaper, Franklin Gothic, and less recognisable because quite small the bespoke version of Imperial they produced themselves by scanning proofs of the original metal type.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Historic moments call for historic front pages and historic headlines. Yet not all of them are as successful as they…Read more
- Christian Schwartz’s presentation “Couture Type and The New York Times” from TYPO Berlin 2008 “Image” has been added to the…Read more
- Ampersand wasn’t the only type conference this past weekend. From June 15 to 18 a sizable part of the type…Read more
- If FontShop’s bathroom wall is any testament to our reading habits, The Onion is our news source of choice. The…Read more
- In its 30th annual The Best of Newspaper Design™ Creative Competition, the Society for News Design has named four newspapers…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (9)