TDC Medal 2014 Awarded to David Berlow
Last week was a week of both celebration and sadness in the type world. Sadness because Swiss type designer Hans Eduard Meier passed away peacefully aged 91 on Tuesday, July 15. More about this loss later. Celebration because American type designer David Berlow was awarded the prestigious Type Directors Club Medal of Excellence 2014 the next day. The TDC Medal is awarded to individuals and institutions who have made major contributions to the field of typography and expresses collective gratitude to those who by their work and talent have heightened the awareness of typography in communication. In the video interview with Nick Sherman after the jump Font Bureau co-founder David Berlow discusses designing typefaces and experiencing multiple technology transitions in the type business.
The Font Bureau created a wonderful and fitting tribute website celebrating the work of their founder. TDC also shared a number of outtakes with extra nuggets from this type design pioneer.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- This weekend the Type Directors Club of New York posted an interview with Sumner Stone conducted by Nick Sherman on…Read more
- Taking the pulse of the font community would not be complete without the man who has been active in type…Read more
- We are just back from ATypI late last night, still reeling from a wonderful week in Amsterdam – learning, absorbing…Read more
- The latest FontFont release introduces four brand new typefaces to our house foundry. Read about them all in this week’s…Read more
- FontFont represents some of the most talented and interesting type designers in the world. In celebration of FontShop’s 20th…Read more