One of the most entertaining continuing series about typography on the interwebs is Mark Simonson’s Typecasting: The Use (and Misuse) of Period Typography in Movies. Originally a single overview of typographical anachronisms in movies, it spawned the follow up series Son of Typecasting. What Mark does is research the use of period typography in movies […]Read more
Historic moments call for historic front pages and historic headlines. Yet not all of them are as successful as they would like to be. Both the Newsdesigner and Guardian websites have compiled galleries featuring the front pages of yesterday’s major newspapers. Newsdesigner.com has over 50 American front pages, while the 21 on Guardian.co.uk include foreign ones as well. While some limit their creativity to coming up with a striking headline, other newspapers did a complete overhaul of their front page for this historic occasion.Read more
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Changeling is the screen font on the monitor displays of the U.S.S. Enterprise in the new Star Trek movie.…Read more
- The documentary features type designers Hoefler & Frere-Jones, Pentagram’s Paula Scher and Eddie Opara, and infographic designers Julia Vakser and…Read more
- Fan site Batmania collects the onomatopoeia from the word overlays used in the 1960s cult television series Batman.…Read more
- Logan Ingalls’ 24 Season Six countdown makes use of the familiar typographic star of the hit TV show 24: LCD.…Read more
- Part two in our series on the typography of packaging is the result of a trip to Target®. Several of…Read more