Spiekermann Exhibition Opens In Bauhaus-Archiv, Berlin
Yesterday, March 22, the exhibition Erik Spiekermann. The Face of Type. opened in the Bauhaus-Archiv Museum of Design in Berlin. The organisers of the Bauhaus-Archive must have been surprised by the size of the attendance an art form as little known by the larger public as typography could attract. With an intelligent and concise presentation Johannes Erler of Factor Design introduced the visitors to the “Spiekermann principle”. Those who understand German can read the full speech on our German sister-blog Fontblog.
The exhibition shows a cross section of the work of Erik Spiekermann – from the development of his well-known type designs, over various corporate design projects, to the founding of FontShop. It runs until June 6, 2011, so people attending TYPO Berlin 2011 – Shift will be able to visit the exhibition too.
From the Bauhaus_Archiv website:
All fonts are not created equal. And Erik Spiekermann knows best how typography, branding and perception are interrelated. The 63-year-old is one of the world’s best known designers and typographers. In his own view, the greatest achievement in his life’s work – for which he received the Design Award of the Federal Republic of Germany from the Design Council in February 2011 – is the network of designers that he has trained over the past several decades.
His agency, Edenspiekermann, has created corporate design for a variety of global companies. Spiekermann is a co-founder of MetaDesign, one of the largest design agencies in Germany, and of Fontshop, the first mail-order business for computer fonts.
The citizens of Berlin are probably most familiar with Erik Spiekermann in connection with the signage and guidance system that he created for the Berlin Transport Authority (BVG) after reunification of the capital city in 1989. The Bauhaus Archive/Museum of Design provides insights into his working process and shows how he developed this font as well as others – including some classics in the realm of typography.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- An overview of the numerous information channels via which you can follow TYPO Berlin 201 “Shift”.…Read more
- A short video about typography by Erik Spiekermann – typographer, information designer, and founder of this incarnation of The FontFeed.…Read more
- FSI FontShop International and its Berlin-based type foundry FontFont today celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin…Read more
- FontShop and FontFont founder, and mentor of The FontFeed Erik Spiekermann lauded at the German Design Award 2011.…Read more
- Last week Erik Spiekermann published a video about his letterpress shop at P98a in Berlin. Even though the audience at…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)