SOTA Catalyst Award: Call for Entries
The Society of Typographic Aficionados (SOTA) is pleased to announce a new award for young people who have created original work in type design, type history, or other areas related to typography. The award recognizes a person 30 years of age or younger who shows both achievement and future promise in the field of typography. The recipient will attend TypeCon2010 in Los Angeles and will give a presentation during the conference program.
The SOTA board of directors hopes that this introduction to a large cross-section of the typographic community will serve as a catalyst in advancing the career of the recipient.
The award includes main conference and education forum registration fees plus reimbursement of up to $1500 USD for coach travel to/from Los Angeles and standard lodging in the conference hotel while attending TypeCon. Attending TypeCon2010 and giving a presentation are required to receive the award.
April 30, 2010
Notification of Award
May 12, 2010
Entries will be reviewed by a committee of SOTA board members.
Recipient must have been born in 1980 or later, and must attend TypeCon2010 in Los Angeles and give a 20-minute presentation during the main conference.
The following materials must be emailed to gro.yteicosepytnull@tsylatac by the submission deadline:
- A PDF file (may be multiple pages) detailing a specific project or group of related work to be the topic of your presentation
- A brief description of the presentation with title (100 words or less)
- A letter explaining your involvement in typography (300 words or less)
- Optional online links to additional work or background information
Please place all submission files into a folder and compress into a single archive marked with your name. If your submission is larger than 12 MB, please provide a URL for downloading materials. Use the following as the subject line of your email: 2010 SOTA Catalyst (Your First and Last Name).
Include your name, date of birth, physical address, organization or university affiliation if applicable, email address, web URL, and phone number with area code. Applicants from outside the U.S. or Canada should include their country dialing code as well.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- The SOTA Catalyst Award recognises young people who have created original work in type design, type history, or other areas…Read more
- SOTA will be bringing TypeCon2010 to the great city of Los Angeles, August 17-22, 2010.…Read more
- This week the typographic world congregates in Los Angeles, as TypeCon2010: Babel takes over the City of the Angels.…Read more
- Dutch type designer, author, and educator Gerard Unger has been honored with the 2009 SOTA Typography Award.…Read more
- The next American event devoted to all things typographic is TypeCon2012 MKE Shift. The conference presented by SOTA –&nbso;short for…Read more