SOTA Catalyst Award 2011:
Deadline For Submissions Extended!
The Society of Typographic Aficionados is happy to announce the second annual SOTA Catalyst Award for young people who have created original work in type design, type history, or other areas related to typography. The award recognizes a person 30 years of age or younger who shows both achievement and future promise in the field of typography. Important – the deadline for submissions has been extended to April 8th, 2011.
The recipient will be awarded up to $1,500 USD in reimbursement for transportation and lodging expenses to attend the TypeCon2011 conference in New Orleans, July 5th–10th. They will also have their registration fee for the main conference paid for and will give a 20-minute presentation to the main conference. The SOTA Board of Directors hopes that this introduction to a large audience of typographic aficionados will be a catalyst in the career of the recipient.
April 8th, 2011
Notification of Award
April 25th, 2011
The 2010 Catalyst Award was presented at TypeCon2010 “Babel” to Satya Rajpurohit of Ahmedabad, India. Satya gave the presentation Typography Beyond Latin regarding his work for the Indian Type Foundry, which he co-founded with Peter Bil’ak of Typotheque and Rajesh Kejriwal of Kyoorius Exchange. The award included travel to Los Angeles, lodging during TypeCon, and a custom letterpress print created for the occasion by Richard Kegler.
In its first year of the competition, SOTA received entries from 20 different countries in Europe, North America, South America, Asia, Africa, and the South Pacific. The award was made possible through an anonymous gift from a member of the SOTA Board of Directors.
You must be 30 years of age or younger on July 7th, 2011. You must also attend TypeCon2011 in New Orleans, July 7th – 10th, 2011 and make a presentation during the conference.
The following materials must be emailed to gro.yteicosepytnull@tsylatac by the submission deadline. A single PDF file (may be multiple pages) containing the following information is preferred:
- Examples of a specific project or related group of work to be the topic of the presentation
- A brief description of the presentation (100 words or less)
- A letter explaining your involvement in typography (300 words or less)
- Optional: Online links to additional work or background information
Include your name, date of birth, postal address, organization or university affiliation (if applicable), email, and phone number with area code. Applicants from outside the U.S. or Canada should include their country dialling code as well.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- This new award recognises young people who have created original work in type design, type history, or other areas related…Read more
- From July 5 till 10, TypeCon2011 – the annual conference presented by the non-profit Society of Typographic Aficionados (SOTA) –…Read more
- One of the main typography conferences, TypeCon, presented by SOTA (The Society of Typographic Aficionados) is coming up fast. Unlike…Read more
- Under Consideration Department of Design document the creation of the new logo for TypeCon2009 on their website.…Read more
- This week the typographic world congregates in Los Angeles, as TypeCon2010: Babel takes over the City of the Angels.…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)