Short Off Book Documentary on Typography
Today PBS posted its second episode of Off Book on its YouTube channel. Off Book: Type is a short documentary produced by Kornhaber Brown focussing on typography. Off Book is a web-only series from PBS Arts that expands the definition of art. Each episode explores a cutting-edge genre that invites the viewer to engage with the artists and creative process.
Type is everywhere. Every print publication, website, movie, advertisement and public message involves the creation or selection of a fitting typeface. Online, a rich and artistic typographical culture exists, where typefaces are created and graphic design seeps in to every image.
In episode 2 of Off Book, typeface designers Jonathan Hoefler and Tobias Frere-Jones outline the importance of selecting the right font to convey a particular feeling. Citing her iconic work with wood type for The Public Theater , graphic designer Paula Scher talks about building identity in messaging. Eddie Opara uses texture to create reaction, by manipulating Fedra through code for UCLA. Infographic designers Julia Vakser and Deroy Peraza map complicated data sets into digestible imagery, mixing color, graphics and type.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Last week PBS posted a new episode of Off Book on its YouTube channel. The short documentary Off Book: The…Read more
- It is not a good year for the Hamilton Wood Type & Printing Museum. After having been flooded at the…Read more
- Say what you want, but I like holiday cards at year’s end. I even had a competition running at FontShop…Read more
- TYPO Talks are very efficient in following up their events, and this time they really outdid themselves. Two weeks before…Read more
- The typography conference season starts again in one-and-a-half months when TYPO San Francisco, the first of the 2013 TYPO conferences…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (9)