Short Off Book Documentary on Logos
Last week PBS posted a new episode of Off Book on its YouTube channel. The short documentary Off Book: The Art of Logo Design/a> produced by Kornhaber Brown examines how great logos are created. Off Book is a web-only series from PBS Arts that expands the definition of art. Each episode explores a cutting-edge genre that invites the viewer to engage with the artists and creative process.
Logos surround us in digital and physical space, but we rarely examine the thought and artistic thinking that goes into the design of these symbols. Utilizing a silent vocabulary of colors, shapes, and typography, logo designers give a visual identity to companies and organizations of all types. From cave painters to modern designers, artists throughout history have been reducing the complex down to simple ideas that communicate with the world.
In this episode design historian and author Stephen Heller retraces the origin and evolution of logos throughout history. Using examples like Smithsonian and Mobil Sagi Haviv of Chermayeff & Geismar explains the basic rules for good logos. Kelli Anderson offers an insight into the process of creating a logo with her design for Off Book. Finally Gerard Huerta expounds on the timelessness factor of logos.
Now if PBS Arts would only wise up and do something about that crummy typeface they use for the title screens…
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- The documentary features type designers Hoefler & Frere-Jones, Pentagram’s Paula Scher and Eddie Opara, and infographic designers Julia Vakser and…Read more
- Ben Barrett-Forrest breezes through the history of typography in a little over five minutes.…Read more
- Jon Phillips of Spyrestudios gathered 34 excellent logos using punctuation marks in an online gallery.…Read more
- Jonathan Hoefler and Steven Heller explain on The Leonard Lopate Show how typefaces are created and why typography is important…Read more
- Whether you need to rinse your eyes and brain from too many shiny beveled logos with gradients, or you are…Read more