Robothon 2012 Video Recap
I don’t want to sound ungrateful for mentioning this, but having my presentation selected for SXSW Interactive 2012 made me miss a very important event in the world of digital typography. On March 8 and 9 KABK, the Royal Academy of Arts at The Hague, the Netherlands, hosted the 2012 edition of the Robothon Conference on Type Design and Technology. An international roster of speakers presented fascinating new tools and ideas, amongst them the new UFO 3 format. It also provided professionals in type design and students the opportunity to mingle with colleagues from around Europe, meet the Type & Media crew, and visit the Gerrit Noordzij Prize exhibition and seminar. The organisation have outdid themselves by publishing the full line-up of presentations on Vimeo.
Welcome, intros, logistics | Paul van der Laan · Bold Monday
Paul van der Laan opens the Robothon 2012 conference.
RoboFont introduction | Frederik Berlaen · RoboFont
Frederik Berlaen introduces us to the APIs in RoboFont.
PostScript Hints | Miguel Sousa · Adobe Type Dept.
Miguel Sousa (Adobe Type dept.) talks about PostScript-flavoured hints: the alignment zones and stems.
Building a TrueType Hinting Tool | Petr van Blokland · Buro PvB&CM
Petr van Blokland gives a preview of his work in TrueType hinting.
Glyphs.app introduction | Georg Seifert · GlyphsApp.com
Georg Seifert shows us around in the Glyphs editor.
How to make TT Hinting less boring | Frank Grießhammer · Adobe Type Dept.
Frank Grießhammer (Adobe Type Dept) gets into the numbers of TrueType hints, and shows how to deal with them in large quantities.
Building Stuff | Tal Leming · Type Supply
Tal Leming shows how to take a small script that was written for a specific task, and turn it into a versatile tool with an interface.
Speedpunk | Yanone
Yanone shows the Speedpunk plugin for RoboFont and Glyphs, an interactive (and cross-application) tool that visually shows the smoothness and continuity of the curves.
(Unfortunately only the last part of Yanone’s talk was properly recorded – See also the Speedpunk trailer.)
Superpolator 3 Preview | Erik van Blokland · Superpolator.com
Erik van Blokland shows a preview of new features in the new version of Superpolator.
hTools | Gustavo Ferreira · Hipertipo
Gustavo Ferreira shows his hTools library, a collection of dialogues, windows and scripts that will benefit every workflow.
Mo’ glyphs, mo’ problems | Ben Kiel · House Industries
Ben Kiel talks about some of the issues presented by working with large character sets, scripts, languages and multiple designers.
About Type & Media | Paul van der Laan · Type & Media
Paul van der Laan gives a short introduction to the Type & Media course of the Royal Academy of Arts; the history, students, faculty and work. The Type & Media course co-hosted the Robothon 2012 conference.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- The Robothon09 presentations can now be viewed in their entirety from the comfort of your own home.…Read more
- In one and a half months The Hague in the Netherlands will be the epicentre of the type design world.…Read more
- I am currently attending Robothon 2009 at the KABK in The Hague. I will post a report on Unzipped when…Read more
- At the occasion of the Gerrit Noordzij Prize 2009 Tobias Frere-Jones introduced the work of Wim Crouwel. His presentation is…Read more
- After some continuing provider-related problems The FontFeed gets back on track and on with the show.…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)