In one and a half months The Hague in the Netherlands will be the epicentre of the type design world. The RoboFab developers are organising a new Robothon conference on Thursday March 5 and Friday March 6, 2009. The cream of the crop in type design will convene at The Royal Academy of Arts (KABK) for a conference programme focusing on type design and production workflow.
Sessions will address drawing, managing sources, class kerning, interpolation, and generating and testing OTF. Scripting will of course have a prominent place too, as it glues all these together. Furthermore the organisers are looking forward to have some tool demos. It goes without saying that the conference will include a couple of parties, people to meet and letters to look at. An exhibition of the work of Tobias Frere-Jones will open Friday afternoon, and the Gerrit Noordzij Award 2009 will be presented to Dutch graphic design legend Wim Crouwel on Friday late afternoon.
RoboFab was started sometime during the TypoTechnica in Heidelberg, 2003. Tal Leming, Erik van Blokland and Just van Rossum – arguably three of the brightest minds in type design – combined their FontLab code into a new library. At first it was an odd collection of fixes and workarounds. In April 2003 Tal, Erik and Just created new objects to live on top of the FontLab objects, and further development during spring and summer produced the new GLIF and UFO file formats. The original release of RoboFab 1.0b1 fell through as the first RoboThon conference – scheduled in September 2003 – was cancelled at the last minute because hurricane Isabel. After this false start RoboFab saw its first public release in January 2004. It has since then proved a tremendous help in the type design process, considerably expanded the possibilities, and made type designers’ lives much easier.
The result of over 6 man-years of concentrated coding, RoboFab is a Python library with over 40 standardized classes of objects that deal with data usually associated with fonts and type design. RoboFab reads and writes UFO font files and works in any Python 2.3 (and 2.2.1), 2.4. 2.5. The RoboFab code for FontLab works in FontLab 4.6, FontLab Studio 5 and up. With RoboFab installed, the scripter will find it easier to produce scripts. API standardization means fewer things to remember or look up – even though RoboFab comes with extensive documentation and example code.
Type designers planning to attend Robothon 2009 have until January 31, 2009, to register at a reduced rate. Robothon is graciously sponsored by The Royal Academy of Arts, House Industries. LettError, Type Invaders, TypeSupply, and Commercial Type.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- At the occasion of the Gerrit Noordzij Prize 2009 Tobias Frere-Jones introduced the work of Wim Crouwel. His presentation is…Read more
- The Robothon organisation have made the integral line-up of presentations available on Vimeo.…Read more
- The Robothon09 presentations can now be viewed in their entirety from the comfort of your own home.…Read more
- I am currently attending Robothon 2009 at the KABK in The Hague. I will post a report on Unzipped when…Read more
- The new free open air summer type & design festival featuring bands, free speech, films, workshops, surf, camping & love.…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)