PVP On Helvetica, The Movie
I almost missed this one because I was in Dublin for the ATypI 2010 conference. More than a year after The Font Snob PVP, one of my favourite webcomics, published Serif Bueller’s Day Off, another type-related strip. This time the characters comment on Helvetica, the 2007 feature-length documentary by Gary Hustwitt. I like how the creator Scott Kurtz “gets” the reaction of people to type-centric conversations and subjects. The ideas for sequels he throws in at the end are quite funny. And no Francis, the movie is not about a font, but about a typeface.
Last year Hustwit released Objectified, about our complex relationship with manufactured objects and, by extension, the people who design them. The third part of his “design trilogy” of sorts, Urbanized, about the design of cities is currently in production and will premiere in 2011.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- The official trailer for “Sign Painters”, a documentary by Faythe Levine & Sam Macon.…Read more
- Two images posted on Grid, the official SPD blog feature chance encounters between unrelated magazine covers, creating new unexpected readings.…Read more
- Punchcut presents The Typophile Film Fest 4, San Francisco in association with FontShop The Typophile Film Festival 4 is best described as a…Read more
- The best way to tick off a graphic designer cum typography blogger? Intercut the historical footage from 1963 in the…Read more
- A semi-serious investigation about the most popular typeface in movie poster history, touching upon type selection and typography trends in…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (9)