PvP Goes Typo-Crazy
I suspected it might happen one day, but it still took me by surprise. Until recently PvP was the only webcomic I religiously follow – now that I discovered the wondrous Abominable Charles Christopher there are two. It is a funny, warm, and occasionally hilarious look at the everyday going-ons at the editorial office of a gaming magazine. Over the years the humour has evolved beyond video gaming and the related “nerd culture” including comics and RPGs, and nowadays includes relationship humour, tech jokes, a satirical look at the generation gap, and spoofing popular culture. Yesterday it featured what I believe is the first typography-related strip in its more than ten years of publishing. Creator Scott R. Kurtz explains:
This strip was inspired by the font snob in my life.
I won’t say who it is, exactly, but I will say he can identify fonts off a Starbucks chalkboard and his name rhymes with Histofer Blaub.
It is nice to see type identifiers are making it into pop culture. But “Identify fonts off a Starbucks chalkboard”? I am so not going to comment on that. ;)
Read more about PVP on Wikipedia.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Scott R. Kurtz published the second type-centric strip in his webcomic PVP.…Read more
- The popular webcomic by Scott R. Kurtz makes its third reference to typography.…Read more
- Say what you want, but I like holiday cards at year’s end. I even had a competition running at FontShop…Read more
- After battling a very aggressive cancer for over a year, yesterday evening my father chose to not let his illness…Read more
- When you don’t want to be bothered and can’t waste any time, simply hand over a card to the offender…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)