Post TypeCon2009 – Secret Dope Skillz & More Reports
It’s always fun and surprising to find out about the hidden talents and obscure hobbies of fellow graphic designers, typographers, and type designers. As we all are in an artistic profession chances are that this artistic trait isn’t limited to what we do professionally. Personally I have been delighted to challenge Dyana Weissman at the TypeCon2005 Dance-Off in New York City, who turned out to be a terrific dancer. And I was thrilled when P22‘s Jimy Chambers admitted at TYPO Berlin 2007 – Music that he was an original member of Mercury Rev, one of my favourite bands of the late 90s–early 2000s (he now has his own band Odiorne). We even have a band entirely made up of type designers with Wolfraam. The number of musicians, photographers, fine artists, and so on amidst our ranks is staggering.
So you can imagine I was intrigued when I read a stray comment on Twitter about an impromptu yoyo demonstration. Just prior to the Type Quiz a graphic designer and recent SCAD graduate started doing a freestyle that left everyone flabbergasted. After finding out via Julia Ruzich and Ivo Gabrowitsch that his name was Mark Montgomery I was shocked to discover he is a world class pro yoyo champion, sponsored by One Drop and currently throwing his own signature yoyo, the MarkMont. Damn, the days that you could get away with busting a move on the dance floor at TypeCon are officially over. This is something else!
Some more TypeCon2009 – Rhythm reports have surfaced – one excellent write-up entitled More Than a Typographic Lovefest by Allen Haley, and an account of the Hatch Show Print Workshop on Mary Ferguson Huddleston’s Diversions blog. Go check them out!
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- SOTA will be bringing TypeCon2010 to the great city of Los Angeles, August 17-22, 2010.…Read more
- This week the typographic world congregates in Los Angeles, as TypeCon2010: Babel takes over the City of the Angels.…Read more
- The type world convenes in Atlanta, Georgia for the week-long community-wide celebration of type and design that is TypeCon 2009…Read more
- Under Consideration/Department of Design had the excellent idea to post a follow-up to their unveiling of the TypeCon logo.…Read more
- From July 5 till 10, TypeCon2011 – the annual conference presented by the non-profit Society of Typographic Aficionados (SOTA) –…Read more