Jonathan Hoefler & Steven Heller On “Please Explain: Typography”
WNYC 93.9 FM and AM 820 are New York’s flagship public radio stations,
broadcasting the finest programs from National Public Radio and Public Radio International, as well as a wide range of award-winning local programming.
Every Friday afternoon Please Explain – the weekly feature on The Leonard Lopate Show – gets to the bottom of one complex issue. The latest Please Explain is all about typefaces and typography. Typeface designer Jonathan Hoefler, type designer and president of Hoefler & Frere-Jones and Steven Heller, co-chair of the MFA Designer as Author program at the School of Visual Arts and author of the VISUALS column for the New York Times Book Review, explain how typefaces are created and why typography is important to communication and design.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Jonathan Hoefler & Tobias Frere-Jones’s presentation “Better Living Through Typography” from TYPO Berlin 2004 “Schrift” has now also been added…Read more
- The documentary features type designers Hoefler & Frere-Jones, Pentagram’s Paula Scher and Eddie Opara, and infographic designers Julia Vakser and…Read more
- Last week PBS posted a new episode of Off Book on its YouTube channel. The short documentary Off Book: The…Read more
- Two images posted on Grid, the official SPD blog feature chance encounters between unrelated magazine covers, creating new unexpected readings.…Read more
- On Monday, February 28, Doyald Young – lettering and logotype designer, type designer, author, teacher and mentor, passed away at…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Stoker, Dead Man Down, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, Tyler Perry’s Temptation, Wrong (4)