PingMag Interviews Erik Spiekermann
What do you think about the increasing possibilities to purchase “cheap design”, done by people claiming to be designers or better opportunities to let software design for you?
Good, yeah! There is a market for fast food — I don’t eat it but, there is nothing wrong with it. There are lots of people who are probably well served with it. In fact, the more of that cheap stuff is out there, the higher we get pushed.
Most stuff isn’t even badly designed, it just isn’t designed at all. But the more stuff actually gets designed, it pushes up the demand for design. That’s just what happened to typefaces: before we had maybe 1,500, now we have more than 30,000. The demand is always increasing and the quality will also always increase.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- The third in a series of interviews with people that played a key role in twenty years of FontShop.…Read more
- Hundreds of fontheads will descend upon the quiet enclave of Buffalo, NY next week for North America’s only annual conference…Read more
- After writing about Fenstern Zeichen, Herbert Marker’s delightful gallery of Austrian shop signs, it pains me to show you this…Read more
- Last week Erik Spiekermann published a video about his letterpress shop at P98a in Berlin. Even though the audience at…Read more
- All type lovers should grab a beer (or other refreshment) and take an hour off to enjoy the work from…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (9)