Paula Scher’s Typobsessive Ho-ho-ho Digital Christmas Card
Say what you want, but I like holiday cards at year’s end. I even had a competition running at FontShop BeNeLux for a couple of years (2007, 2008 & 2009). They are the perfect vehicles for self-promotion, and every year we see designers really outdo themselves when it comes to originality and creativity. My own last foray into this ephemeral art dates from 2011. Due to personal issues I have been merely an observer the past two years. Being a fan of printed cards, I am a little ambivalent about digital cards – they offer exciting new possibilities, but the act of physically sending a printed card shows that you really care. That being said, the digital holiday greeting designed by Paula Scher for Cooper-Hewitt is all kinds of awesome.
True to her continued efforts to treat typography as an expressive medium, communicative beyond the mere words the letters spell out, Paula Sher used obsessive typography to treat the holiday clichés of jingle bells and ho-ho-ho.
The only thing to do is be relentless.
The greeting is a beautiful example of Scher’s signature style, with eclectic type choices, images as letters, dense design, and dynamic motion. There are too many typefaces featured in the video, so I won’t even try to identify them all.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Some people say classics shouldn’t be messed with, but I see no harm in having a little fun with iconic…Read more
- Wallpaper* have published a gallery of 450 type-tart cards on their website.…Read more
- Bruno Maag has designed a remarkable exhibition of his type designs at Walking-Chair Design Gallery.…Read more
- Changeling is the screen font on the monitor displays of the U.S.S. Enterprise in the new Star Trek movie.…Read more
- TYPO Talks are very efficient in following up their events, and this time they really outdid themselves. Two weeks before…Read more
- Screenfonts: Push, Coraline, The International, Gomorrah, Madea Goes To Jail, Echelon Conspiracy (19)
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)