Paste Magazine Selects 25 Best Album Covers Of The Decade (2000–2009)
See, I told you this was only the beginning. The end of the decade is giving birth to overviews and lists galore. Because I now keep track of the newly released album covers on FontShop BeNeLux‘s Flickr account the last one to catch my eye was Paste magazine‘s “The 25 Best Album Covers of the Decade (2000–2009)”.
From the simple but striking prism gracing Pink Floyd‘s Dark Side of the Moon to the naked, submerged, dollar-bill-chasing baby swimming across the front of Nirvana‘s Nevermind, a great album cover captures the imagination and sears itself into the brain, forever fusing its iconic imagery with the music it comes to signify. Here are 25 album covers from the last decade that follow in this hallowed pop-music tradition…
Now I don’t know about you, but electing the 25 best album covers seems to me like a very tricky endeavour. However this list made me want to revisit my CD collection, and I am going to try and find the best CD-cover or packaging I own from the last decade and post it here. If this sounds like a neat idea and you feel like joining in with the fun, send me over yours so we can discuss them in this post.
Now in its eighth year of publication, Paste magazine claims to have become the most celebrated entertainment magazine in the U.S. with two National Magazine Award nominations for general excellence, dozens of Plug, Folio, and Gamma Awards, and endorsements from folks like USA Today, the NY Daily News and The Wall Street Journal, who calls Paste “the finest among American music titles.” In less than a decade, the independent publication has grown to become the third largest rock magazine in the world, thanks to readers hungry for authenticity and creativity. This highly engaged and devoted audience (including more Twitter followers than any other music magazine) goes to Paste magazine and PasteMagazine.com to discover the Best of What’s Next in music, film, books, games and television. As Utne says, “Paste brings together the best elements of the mainstream and indie press.”
Favourite Album Covers of The Decade
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Video detailing the creation process and production of the cover insert for the latest Gillian Welch album.…Read more
- Peter Biľak, the founder of Typotheque (and former editor of Dot Dot Dot magazine) is starting a new design magazine,…Read more
- The gallery of Ember Library paperback cover art showcases a fantastic collection of vintage paperbacks featuring hand lettering and titillating…Read more
- The Book Cover Archive have published their Top Ten of Covers of the ’00s, including the ten runners-up.…Read more
- The FontFeed loves Blue Note Records and Reid Miles, so it was with great pleasure that I discovered the Barack…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (9)