Painless Font Installation
Being a member of the FontShop International Font Identification and Type Research team I occasionally receive questions concerning font installation. Many people use font management software, but there’s nothing wrong with installing fonts the old-fashioned way if you have to manage a modest number of digital typefaces. Yet installing fonts on a computer is not always as easy as we’d like it to be. There are different operating systems, different versions of those operating systems, and different font formats. The parameters we have to take into account are numerous, which make easy-to-understand installation guides most welcome. All professional fonts come with an – often illustrated – installation guide besides the EULA, so always check the documents that are included with the font files after download.
The guides are in fact slide shows that show you step by step – even the most elaborate one (for MS Windows) has no more than a dozen – what to do with the font files. If you have any problem with installing fonts, you’ll find all the information you need, as well as basic information about the different font formats, all conveniently located on one page.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- I just returned from Berlin where we met with all the regional FontShops and the founder himself, Erik Spiekermann. The…Read more
- In this spoof version of the climactic scene of Downfall (Der Untergang) Hitler’s subtitler gets a cheap font CD off…Read more
- One month after the launch of Firefox 3.6 which – amongst other things – introduced support for the Web Open…Read more
- Late this summer I went to see The Dark Knight Rises with my two eldest Eliza and Randall in the…Read more
- Deadline is a superb looking stop motion video with Post-It Notes by Savannah College of Art and Design student Bang-yao…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)