OpenType FontFonts and the Languages They Speak
The OpenType format offers typographers more glyphs, and (sometimes) more confusion. As the FontFont library is converted to OpenType, premium fonts are continually released with advanced typographic features and language support built-in. With so many new releases we don’t expect you to keep up on which FontFonts can speak which languages. Just keep an eye on this post for the latest updates.
Learn more about OpenType in the FontFont OpenType User Guide (PDF). More information, along with a list of FontFonts in OpenType format, can be found in this lovely leaflet (PDF), including the lowdown on Std (“OT”) vs. Pro:
OpenType Pro FontFonts support a broader range of languages than OpenType Standard FontFonts. Supported language encodings include Central European, Greek, Cyrillic and Extended Cyrillic. OpenType Min FontFonts support the same languages as OpenType Standard FontFonts, though some non-essential glyphs (such as mathematical operators and mathematical Greek characters) may have been omitted.
Here’s the OpenType FontFont language support table from the PDF leaflet for your handy reference (updated on June 16, 2010):
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Fifty|1 is a PDF magazine that can be viewed on screen, but was also designed to be printed, a double…Read more
- One month after the launch of Firefox 3.6 which – amongst other things – introduced support for the Web Open…Read more
- The third FontFont release magazine features samples of brand new and relaunched typefaces, as well as information on web fonts.…Read more
- This free online tool enables users to tailor webfonts to perfectly suit their needs, drastically reducing their file size in…Read more
- The manuscripts of author Franz Kafka had such a profound impact on Finnish graphic and type designer Julia Sysmäläinen that…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (9)