On A Daily Basis: The All New FontBook 2.0
Five months ago FontShop International surprised the type world by announcing that its legendary FontBook – commonly dubbed the FontShop Bible – would from now on be an iPad app. The development team has since been busy improving its performance and adding even more features, and now the first major upgrade to version 2.0 introduces the following enhancements.
- 250+ new and updated font families
- expanded homepage featuring three new sections: News, Usage and Compare
- two separate bookmark categories: Favorite and Compare
- new online news stream featuring daily typography news, inspirations and award-winning typefaces
- new focused search for typefaces by Use-Case, Genre, Period, and more
- curated lists of Super Families, Alternatives, and more
- automatic over-the-air content updates
Never before has it been more fascinating to explore the world of typefaces. For the first time FontBook offers thematic lists grouped according to Genre, Period, Applications, Super Families and Alternatives. When browsing and comparing typefaces an additional bookmark named Compare allows the user to select the desired candidates. It joins the Favorites bookmark which was introduced in version 1. The News and Trends area turns FontBook into an interesting typographic resource. Posts from The FontFeed and the FontShop Blog are published under News, where type design competition winners, font charts, staff picks, and announcements of new typefaces can be found too. And the best part is that all searchable content of FontBook is continuously kept up-to-date via the newly implemented over-the-air update process.
Many of FontBook’s new typeface collections are based on the nearly 1000 FontLists that have been published on the FontShop website the last few years. The FontShop team have analysed thousands of typefaces under the editorship of Stephen Coles and Yves Peters, grouping them according to usage, similarity, genre and many other criteria. Those lists have been updated and extended for FontBook 2.0, and grouped into usable information clusters. The Usage section contains the following groups: Genre, Period, Applications, Super Families and Alternatives. Under News users can find font charts, staff picks and various recommendations.
The essential technology that keeps the content of FontBook current is Update Over-the-Air (OTA). To import newly released typefaces, additional lists or the latest news into the app, users no longer need to download a new version or even connect the iPad to their computer: New content is automatically loaded via WiFi whenever it is available. Whenever that happens a small update indicator appears for 3 seconds below the top navigation bar.
One of the most popular features in FontBook is the Compare section. Previously marked typefaces can be seen side by side in three different sizes, either with default text or a custom sample word. Version 1 used the Favorite list for doing comparisons, while version 2 uses its dedicated bookmark for this type of selection.
Additional changes and improvements in Version 2.0:
- Font classes and sub-classes added to the yellow font family data-sheet
- New process animation while receiving online font rendering results
- Expanded mini font sample Rag instead of Rg
- Instant Compare building set update after deleting a bookmark
- 15 noble Dutch type designers (e. g. Erik van Blokland) are now sorted by surname (not V)
Discover all the main features in FontBook 2.0 in our new 7 min video:
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- The new 3.0 update version of the FontBook is now compatible for all iOS devices.…Read more
- Update your version of FontShuffle for iPhone and iPod Shuffle via the App Store, and enjoy the many improvements to…Read more
- FontBook for iPad – not a book, but a typographic atlas with 620,000 font samples which can be Facebooked and…Read more
- The Monotype, ITC, Adobe, and Linotype libraries were all updated last month with new releases and specially priced value packs.…Read more
- A little tutorial to get you acquainted with the new functionalities of the new FontBook app for iPad.…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Stoker, Dead Man Down, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, Tyler Perry’s Temptation, Wrong (4)