Lectures by Martin Majoor Now Up for Viewing
In the build-up to TYPO Berlin 2010 – Passion a couple of tweets by Martin Majoor caught my eye today. One tweet announced that on Friday, May 21, he and Sébastien Morlighem will present the book they wrote about José Mendoza y Almeida. Mendoza, now 83 years old, designed typefaces like Pascal, Photina, and ITC Mendoza. He began working with Roger Excoffon at the Fonderie Olive in 1954, and is still active today. Many consider him to be the “godfather” of French type design. The first book dedicated to his work was published last March as part of the Bibliothèque typographique series. It features an introduction by Jan Middendorp and essays by Martin Majoor and Sébastien Morlighem. The book also contains many previously unpublished documents.
Not only will visitors of TYPO Berlin be able to attend this presentation by Martin Majoor live, in another tweet he revealed that he had collected some of his old lectures (in English, German and Dutch) and put them up on his personal website for viewing. Learn all about how he started in type design, his influences, his successful type families FF Scala, FF Seria, FF Nexus, his custom Telefont families for the Dutch phone directories, the Questa project currently in development in collaboration with Jos Buivenga, and much more.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- The presentations by Bernd Kolb, Daniel van der Velden, Kirsten Dietz, Nat Hunter and Matthew Butterick were added to the…Read more
- The organisation of the 33pt typography symposium 2009 have posted a slew of presentations and interviews on Vimeo, many of…Read more
- “Roger Excoffon et la fonderie Olive” retraces the history of the Olive foundry through the life of type designer Roger…Read more
- First impressions from TYPO Berlin 2010 “Passion”.…Read more
- Christian Schwartz’s presentation “Couture Type and The New York Times” from TYPO Berlin 2008 “Image” has been added to the…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Stoker, Dead Man Down, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, Tyler Perry’s Temptation, Wrong (4)