Notes on the Frankfurt Book Fair
I was at the Frankfurt Book Fair for one and a half day, where I had more discussions than I actually saw books. The host country this year was Turkey. The labyrinth logo was omnipresent. This immediately reminded me of our discussion on Fontblog.de in March last year, when Sandy Kaltenborn was confronted with a legal threat, as his typo-labyrinth on the cover of the G8 brochure Die Deutung der Welt bore too much resemblance to the cover for Adreas Uebele’s Orientierungssysteme und Signaletik.
China was selected to be the host country of the 2009 book fair. The design of next year’s logo and halls was assigned to Germany’s most well-known Chinese designer, best-selling author and TYPO presenter Yang Liu (Fontblog on her posters, Fontblog on her book).
Whoever designs the logo for the book fair will see it applied on the most diverse media: carrier bags, catalogue, advertisements, columns, transparancies, floor coverings… I was curious to discover Yang Liu’s creation which was unveiled at a press conference on October 16th. Unfortunately I was unable to attend, as I already was making my way back to Berlin. However she revealed to me that it was going to be entirely black-and-white.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- After a one year break publishing house Hermann Schmidt Mainz in collaboration with the Frankfurt Book Fair will exhibit TDC…Read more
- The works for Hering Berlin and Utrecht City Theatre have been awarded with a red dot award for outstanding design.…Read more
- The FontFeed is not the only FontShop blog. Representatives from FontShop Germany and Benelux also have their own venues for…Read more
- Over on our sister blog FontBlog FontShop AG General Manager Jürgen Siebert mentions the “making of” video for the cover…Read more
- The gallery of Ember Library paperback cover art showcases a fantastic collection of vintage paperbacks featuring hand lettering and titillating…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)