Mark Simonson’s Changeling Stars In Star Trek
Just a quick one before the weekend. Since commenting on the Star Trek posters in the most recent episode of ScreenFonts and listing all the Star Trek typefaces available as digital fonts, I found out yet another typographic tidbit. Yesterday I visited Mark Simonson‘s Notebook after quite a hiatus and discovered in the latest instalment of his excellent Son of Typecasting series that his typeface Changeling made it into the new Star Trek movie. He was able to get photographic evidence from high-resolution promotional stills from the movie. It’s a bit hidden in the background, but still easily recognisable.
As Mark explains in his Notebook post:
Changeling was a redesign and expansion of an old film font from the seventies called China. I added more weights, more styles, and more characters, as well as modifying the design as I saw fit. One of the more noticeable things I changed was the “4”, which is how I know it’s Changeling that was used in the film.
Mark concludes that he “was in several kinds of geek heaven” when he found out about it, and rightly so. Live long and prosper, Mark!
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- FF Mark is a new geometric sans serif designed to meet the typographic challenges of today. It was developed over…Read more
- The results for the 2014 SXSW Film Design Awards for Excellence in Poster and Title Design.…Read more
- The comprehensive specimens in the FontBook app for iPad offer several layers of information for each featured typeface.…Read more
- I have worked in the type business for the past 23 years. Before that I witnessed the launch of pioneering…Read more
- Say what you want, but I like holiday cards at year’s end. I even had a competition running at FontShop…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)