Looking For Images Of Letterpress Script Faces
I will be speaking at TYPO Berlin “Sustain” next week and am currently hard at work on my entirely new presentation From Metal Scripts to Digital Writing. I trace back the reproduction of handwriting from the earliest scripts for letterpress to feature-rich OpenType fonts with artificial intelligence that mimic the decisions made by letterers and calligraphers. While I have most of my material down I feel like I could use some close-ups of letterpress type, illustrating the specific difficulties inherent to producing slanted glyphs on a rectangular body. I am particularly interested in overhangs and kerns, connections, type on a non-rectangular body, and so on. As I am touching on a wide variety of script styles I will gradually add to this post which images I have received, and which ones I think I still need.
Here’s a number of examples of what I a looking for. However I would like to also have some extreme close-ups of overhangs and kerns.
:: UPDATE ::
Thomas Gravemaker sent me images of English-style copperplate scripts; a series on rectangular body and a series on slanted body.
Stéphane De Schrevel sent me these superb combos, showing both the type and the back side of the body, of two English-style copperplate scripts – one on rectangular and one on slanted body – and one wood type script on slanted body.
Sander Pinkse sent me these images of letterpress Mistral.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- National Punctuation Day gives us an opportunity to call attention to two of our most critical typographic causes: the interrobang…Read more
- We get a lot of requests for fancy scripts. A font with a calligraphic touch is often the best option…Read more
- Some of you digital age kids ;) may not recognize what the images in our introductory post are, so maybe…Read more
- Graphic and motion designer Naomi Ross produced a gorgeous instructional video showing the process of printing letterpress with wood type.…Read more
- On Friday 7 November 2008, St Bride Library organizes a one-day conference called Letterpress: A Celebration. According to their press…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Stoker, Dead Man Down, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, Tyler Perry’s Temptation, Wrong (4)