We’ve briefly covered typographic tattoos before on The FontFeed, and mentioned Ina Saltz’ Body Type: Intimate Messages Etched in Flesh, an entire book devoted to this phenomenon. I recently was made aware of a website that combines the two. Contrariwise is a website about literary tattoos – tattoos based on books, poems, lyrics, and many other literary sources. The main focus of the entries is the literary source and the background of the text fragments that people commit to their skin, and some of the stories behind the texts are fascinating reads. Although many of those tattoos are designed with scripts and lettering, some are also typographic. Here’s a selection from the last half year or so.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- We get a lot of requests for fancy scripts. A font with a calligraphic touch is often the best option…Read more
- The challenge at hand – create a typographic poster about sports, using the phrase: “It’s not what you win, but…Read more
- The Robothon09 presentations can now be viewed in their entirety from the comfort of your own home.…Read more
- Pentawards is the first and only worldwide competition exclusively devoted to packaging design in all its forms. Last weekend the…Read more
- Jonathan Hoefler & Tobias Frere-Jones’s presentation “Better Living Through Typography” from TYPO Berlin 2004 “Schrift” has now also been added…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)