Linotype: The Film – A Special Opportunity
We would like to share about a unique opportunity that has been presented to us. We have been given seven 16mm educational films from the Mergenthaler Linotype Company from the 1950s and ’60s. They are the original films that were sent out to educate people on how different aspects of the Linotype work.
As far as we know, these are the only remaining films in the world and we want to help preserve them for the next generation. Any money received over our goal will help fund sending these to a telecine where they will be digitized. We hope to put the films up on the internet so many more people can see how the Linotype works.
If you want to play your part in safeguarding this unique portion of typographic history visit our Kickstarter page and pledge whatever you can spare. We have a little over two days to go. Again, we thank you for your support of the film!
Because of your generous support, the films are on their way to be professionally digitized. The films were shipped out to a telecine. Thanks to Joshua Gross for helping us preserve these films.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- A vintage short documentary produced by Encyclopædia Britannica Films Inc. in 1947 explains the process from copy setting to binding.…Read more
- Help cover post-production expenses for “Linotype: The Film”, the feature-length documentary centred around the Linotype typecasting machine.…Read more
- The Typophile Film Festival 5 premieres at “Design à Trois” in Portland, Oregon on August 27th 2009.…Read more
- Typophile has issued an open Call For Entries for the fifth edition of Typophile Film Fest. The film festival is…Read more
- Punchcut presents The Typophile Film Fest 4, San Francisco in association with FontShop The Typophile Film Festival 4 is best described as a…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Stoker, Dead Man Down, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, Tyler Perry’s Temptation, Wrong (4)