Letterpress Printing The Cover For Gillian Welch’s The Harrow & The Harvest
This is a little follow-up to Wednesday’s episode of My Type of Music with some extra information on one of the album covers I discussed. In the comments to the post Erik Spiekermann, spiritual father of The FontFeed, pointed out the great video below. It documents the creation of the album cover insert for The Harrow & The Harvest, the new Gillian Welch album. Featuring interviews with Aardvark Letterpress, illustrator/musician John Dyer Baizley, and recording artists Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, it details the creation process and production in letterpress. By the way, you can briefly see a Linotype in action at the 6:12 mark. Most of all the video shows how commitment, dedication and love for the craft, combined with the occasional happy accident, can produce truly unique album cover inserts. A tutorial by Gillian Welch and David Rawlings on how to coffee-stain your copy of the letterpressed CD insert (US version) shows how to make that quite literal.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Some of you digital age kids ;) may not recognize what the images in our introductory post are, so maybe…Read more
- Graphic and motion designer Naomi Ross produced a gorgeous instructional video showing the process of printing letterpress with wood type.…Read more
- On Friday 7 November 2008, St Bride Library organizes a one-day conference called Letterpress: A Celebration. According to their press…Read more
- A vintage short documentary produced by Encyclopædia Britannica Films Inc. in 1947 explains the process from copy setting to binding.…Read more
- “So You Need A Typeface” is an alternative way of choosing fonts (or simply find inspiration) for a specific project,…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Stoker, Dead Man Down, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, Tyler Perry’s Temptation, Wrong (4)