Letterrific PSI Advert For “Think Biker”
This recent public service information advert for the British Department for Transport is just too lovely to pass up. The latest THINK! campaign introduces us to some bikers in an unusual way, to remind drivers to think about the person on the bike. With their identities hidden behind safety helmets, it’s easy to forget that motorcyclists are people with relationships, jobs and families. In the video their bikes are outfitted with big neon signs spelling out their names and a personal detail. The track from the advert is Steph Altman’s If you got to know me.
Motorcyclists are only 1% of motor traffic in the UK, but they account for 19% of all deaths on British roads*. A report** by Dr. David Crundall (University of Nottingham) describes how drivers with a close friend or relative who is a motorcyclist are less likely to have a collision with one. It seems that knowing a motorcyclist makes you more likely to notice them. The positive tone of the advert is a nice breather, and more effective than the scare tactics often used in PSI spots.
The Making Of video offers a behind the scenes look at how and why the TV advert was made.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- The opening sequence for “How We Built Britain”, the landmark BBC One show that aired over June and July 2007,…Read more
- Mike Parker, consultant, type historian, and type designer at the Font Bureau, Inc. died on Monday, February 25, 2014.…Read more
- One of the most entertaining continuing series about typography on the interwebs is Mark Simonson’s Typecasting: The Use (and Misuse)…Read more
- Helvetica is a classic. Helvetica is played out. Each of these statements is true to an extent. The world’s most…Read more
- Elegant and minimal, Monocle stands out on the newsstand for its spare typeface palette consisting of Helvetica and an old…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)