Less Than 20 Days Left On Typodarium 2014
Typodarium is your daily dose of typography. It takes the form of a tear-off calendar, just like the one our grandmothers used to hang in the kitchen. But instead of spouting inane quotations, offering redundant advice or telling lame jokes, this calendar unveils a new type design every day. For a whole year, it gives you the opportunity to broaden your typographic knowledge, to discover the typeface’s history and development, to admire an original type design. The front of each page prominently displays the month, date and day set in the typeface, while the back lists the typeface’s name and describes the concept – how the design originated, if it was inspired by something or someone, and any other details worth mentioning. Typodarium 2013 celebrates the fifth anniversary of the calendar and is unfortunately already sold out. If you are a type designer or a foundry, you are invited to contribute to the upcoming Typodarium 2014. At the time of publishing there are only 17 days left to be filled in, so don’t wait too long!
All submissions are reviewed and selected by the editors with assistance from a jury of type experts: iconic letterer, graphic designer and type designer Ed Benguiat; MA Typeface Design alumnus and one half of the TypeTogether foundry Veronika Burian; Berlin-based Dutch type designer and founder of LucasFonts Luc(as) de Groot, President of tgm – Typographische Gesellschaft München e.V. (the Typographic Society of Munich) and member of the German committee of the Type Directors Club of New York Boris Kochan; and owner of a multidisciplinary creative studio and design author Ian Lynam.
If you are interested in collaborating in this time-sensitive project, please go to the Typodarium website for the call for entries. Contribution is free of charge. Make sure you have an interesting story to tell about your typeface! Typodarium 2014 is published by Verlag Hermann Schmidt Mainz. The 10,000 copies will be sold online, and distributed in design and museum shops and selected book stores worldwide.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- The tear-off calendar will offers daily typographic inspiration with 365 typefaces to discover throughout the whole year.…Read more
- Type designers and foundries are invited to contribute to the Typodarium 2012, the fourth edition of the typographic tear-off calendar.…Read more
- Type designers and foundries are invited to contribute to the Typodarium 2011, the third edition of the typographic tear-off calendar.…Read more
- The tear-off calendar will offer daily typographic inspiration with 366 typefaces to discover throughout the whole year of 2012.…Read more
- This weekend the Type Directors Club of New York posted an interview with Sumner Stone conducted by Nick Sherman on…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (4)
- ScreenFonts: Thor, Last Night, Bridesmaids, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Midnight In Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2 (11)