Last Days of Early Bird Registration for ISType 2013 “Stroke”
Like I mentioned in my last post I attended/spoke at my share of conferences these past few weeks, yet the fun is not over yet. Last year I complained that the Istanbul Type Seminars did their very best to make me regret not attending by posting their video impressions on Vimeo. I added I definitely would try to make it this year. Well, as it turns out it’s even better – I was invited to speak at ISType 2013 “Stroke” which is held from June 13 until 16. This lecture and workshop series conceived by typographers / designers / educators Onur Yazıcıgil (Sabancı University) and Alessandro Segalini (Izmir University of Economics) is devoted to encouraging typographic literacy in Turkey. Again it boasts an impressive line-up of speakers, and includes five workshops and a screening of the Sign Painters movie.
The event starts on Thursday, June 13 with the Ottoman Calligraphy (Hat) Workshop workshop by Savaş Çevik, followed by the opening reception and the keynote by Robert Bringhurst, The Shape of Thought, the Shape of Vision. The second day brings the conference program proper:
- Jan Middendorp | The Stroke, Gerrit Noordzij and Contemporary Type Design
- Erik van Blokland | Tools and Eyes
- Luc(as) de Groot | On Hinting
- Akira Kobayashi | Rounded Sans in Japan
- İrvin Cemil Schick | The Content of Form
- Mirjam Somers | Continuing Cascading Arabic
- Yves Peters | From Metal Scripts to Digital Writing
- Rainer Scheichelbauer | High Speed Stroke-based Type Design
The weekend is dedicated to workshops:
- Massimo Polello | The Origin of the Serif: Capitalis Romana with Flat Brush
- Rainer Scheichelbauer | Introduction to Type Design with Glyphs.app
- Erik van Blokland | Introduction to TypeCooker
- Thomas Milo & Mirjam Somers | DecoType Templates
If you find this promising, you can view the entire program of last year’s edition on the ISType Vimeo page. If you would like to attend this unique event in enchanting Istanbul, better hurry before the Early Bird discount on the already extremely affordable registration prices runs out this Friday, May 31st. And ISType even offers a €20 discount if you register for both a seminar and a workshop.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Ampersand wasn’t the only type conference this past weekend. From June 15 to 18 a sizable part of the type…Read more
- ISType (Istanbul Type Seminars) is devoted to encouraging typographic literacy in Turkey.…Read more
- It seems to me that organisers of type and design conferences are becoming slightly sadistic. After every event video impressions…Read more
- One of the main typography conferences, TypeCon, presented by SOTA (The Society of Typographic Aficionados) is coming up fast. Unlike…Read more
- I hope everyone is having a great time at Ampersand! Another Spring conference I unfortunately couldn’t attend was ICTVC, the…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (9)