Interview With Sumner Stone For TDC’s Type Legends Series
This weekend the Type Directors Club of New York posted an interview with Sumner Stone conducted by Nick Sherman on their Vimeo account. It is the latest instalment in their Type Legends series, which also features interviews with Mike Parker, Ed Benguiat, and Erik Spiekermann. The iconic type designer recounts his career in type design, from his early days in Reed College, Portland, Oregon, where he became interested in calligraphy. He then retraces his steps from working at Hallmark to witnessing the digital revolution, leading the Type Department Adobe where he hired Robert Slimbach and Carol Twombly into the the Adobe Originals program, and eventually running his own Stone Type Foundry.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Mike Parker, consultant, type historian, and type designer at the Font Bureau, Inc. died on Monday, February 25, 2014.…Read more
- Last week was a week of both celebration and sadness in the type world. Sadness because Swiss type designer Hans…Read more
- Last week Erik Spiekermann published a video about his letterpress shop at P98a in Berlin. Even though the audience at…Read more
- Spiekermann embraced the fledgling world of digital type early on when he founded FontShop 20 years ago, and he’s just…Read more
- The Robothon organisation have made the integral line-up of presentations available on Vimeo.…Read more
- ScreenFonts: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Under The Skin, Hateship Loveship, The Quiet Ones (9)