Interview With Sumner Stone For TDC’s Type Legends Series
This weekend the Type Directors Club of New York posted an interview with Sumner Stone conducted by Nick Sherman on their Vimeo account. It is the latest instalment in their Type Legends series, which also features interviews with Mike Parker, Ed Benguiat, and Erik Spiekermann. The iconic type designer recounts his career in type design, from his early days in Reed College, Portland, Oregon, where he became interested in calligraphy. He then retraces his steps from working at Hallmark to witnessing the digital revolution, leading the Type Department Adobe where he hired Robert Slimbach and Carol Twombly into the the Adobe Originals program, and eventually running his own Stone Type Foundry.
The FontFeed is a daily dispatch of recommended fonts, typography techniques, and inspirational examples of digital type at work in the real world. Eat up.
- Spiekermann embraced the fledgling world of digital type early on when he founded FontShop 20 years ago, and he’s just…Read more
- The Robothon organisation have made the integral line-up of presentations available on Vimeo.…Read more
- In FontCast’s search for typographic designers with interesting stories to tell we talk to Jim Parkinson.…Read more
- Gregory Solenström produced an impressive music video for “Hello Brooklyn”, as a tribute to New York, Brooklyn and Jay-Z.…Read more
- I just returned from Berlin where we met with all the regional FontShops and the founder himself, Erik Spiekermann. The…Read more